Skip to main content

Moving on With Sketches

Drawing menswear.
Not one of the best pictures, and it's before coloring, but here are some rough sketches for a couple of the men characters in Servant of Two Masters. I met with the Director of the show last week to go over all of the ideas I had and to make sure I'm on the right track. This is my first show with Parkland College and I don't want to disappoint- it's also the first show of the season so I want to help make it an amazing start!

There are a few characters that could be cast with male or female characters, so those are mainly just ideas and could work for either gender. I would really enjoy a little gender bending for this show, I think it could work out well. As I've written before, my sketching process is a little funky. I like to do quick sketches, write out all of my ideas, and go from there. I then pick my favorites, add color, and then focus on fabrics and patterns. As of now I have 2 characters I need to tweek their looks just a little bit. Think greaser to Teddy Boy for one, and the other is just a little less formal. Not too bad for a first round with meeting with the Director. 

I plan on going to auditions at the end of the month so when the cast is chosen I already have faces to put with the characters. The auditions are on a Saturday, call backs Sunday, and then rehearsals start that Monday, so it's a very fast paced schedule. My plan is to pull costumes the first week and try to do pull as many pieces for the looks as possible. I found out I won't have a lot of help from the costume shop since it's their first show of the season and there is only 1 costume student. If I can do fittings week 2 then if I need to make anything I have about a week and a half to do so before costume parade. Luckily I have a few days off of work during all of this so I should be okay schedule wise. I plan on posting more once my sketches are done and the show is cast. I'll write a little more on my process as I go along and have a few pictures to post too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malotke Writes - Updated Website

Guess who got new headshots done? Me! I've been continuing to submit various written pieces (poems, drabbles, flash fiction, short stories, etc.) and have been needing headshots for some of the submissions. Since I have been using my photo from senior year of college (shot for the fashion show program) I had decided that maybe it was time for some new, and way more recent, photos.  Pictured left is one of my favorite photos from the photography session. I've already updated my website using a bunch of the photos and I've sent them off for social media / marketing for upcoming interviews & anthologies that I'm included in.  Here is a link to my writing website: Malotke Writes

Mood Board for Writing Characters

The Dire Circle - " The circle is dire, much like the outcomes of these stories. In this black zodiac themed anthology, you may come to dislike other people...maybe even yourself."   When I pitched an idea for "The Dire Circle" during 2021, I wasn't sure that it would even get picked. But, once it did and I was given a Black Zodiac to then develop my short story, I decided to do what I do for costuming a character - I made a mood board for my main character.  My Black Zodiac was the Serpent and my short story for the anthology is Twisted Tales, Dripping in Honey . My story centered around a very femme fatale main character with lots of buried secrets. I looked to old Hollywood glamour, dark reds, demon eyes, and other glints of seductress mixed with sweetness to create Melia . For me, coming up with a name was very difficult. After creating what should would look like, having an idea of her voice, her outfits, her drive, everything about her, I still needed the