Skip to main content

Mood Board for Writing Characters

The Dire Circle - "The circle is dire, much like the outcomes of these stories. In this black zodiac themed anthology, you may come to dislike other people...maybe even yourself." 

When I pitched an idea for "The Dire Circle" during 2021, I wasn't sure that it would even get picked. But, once it did and I was given a Black Zodiac to then develop my short story, I decided to do what I do for costuming a character - I made a mood board for my main character. 

My Black Zodiac was the Serpent and my short story for the anthology is Twisted Tales, Dripping in Honey.

My story centered around a very femme fatale main character with lots of buried secrets. I looked to old Hollywood glamour, dark reds, demon eyes, and other glints of seductress mixed with sweetness to create Melia.

For me, coming up with a name was very difficult. After creating what should would look like, having an idea of her voice, her outfits, her drive, everything about her, I still needed the perfectly crafted name. I looked further into Greek Mythology, looking at more lesser know names. After a while I came with the conclusion, something similar to honey. Her name is derived from the Greek mythology. It comes from a group of Nymphs who were named Meliai, which suggests both "ash-tree" and "honey." The name suits the character that I had crafted, and with that I finished my story.

Here is more on my mood board for Melia. I made small mood boards to cover inspiration for her look, her drive, and other aspects of her, then I put them all together to get the entire picture. 

Once I was done with my story I disassembled the giant mood board. I actually have some of the smaller boards (the pink "More than Cosmetic" piece and the book & lips piece) handing on my personal inspiration board in my office. I've set aside the other larger pieces and some indiviual cut outs for future use if needed. I love making physical mood boards. I do a lot of digital ones for costume design, but when writing I much prefer using my hands and working out how each individual image is going to connect to another.

My mood boards for this character are made from scrapbook paper, a lot of magazine clippings, printed off Pinterest board finds, and printed off landscape/scenery images.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malotke Writes - Updated Website

Guess who got new headshots done? Me! I've been continuing to submit various written pieces (poems, drabbles, flash fiction, short stories, etc.) and have been needing headshots for some of the submissions. Since I have been using my photo from senior year of college (shot for the fashion show program) I had decided that maybe it was time for some new, and way more recent, photos.  Pictured left is one of my favorite photos from the photography session. I've already updated my website using a bunch of the photos and I've sent them off for social media / marketing for upcoming interviews & anthologies that I'm included in.  Here is a link to my writing website: Malotke Writes